Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Puerto Rico-Day One






























A 5 a.m. wake-up call and six hours of travel saw my Puerto Rico class land safely in San Juan. Our descent into the city afforded a nice view of the urban city-scape.

I've not done much since landing this afternoon, but our accomodations are cushy and the wireless 'net is streaming comfortably.

Some of my first impressions:

1. The whole U.S. terrirory thing is weird. Very American but very latin-american too. Lots of Spanish and English spoken. I'm paying for stuff with dollars but it doesn't feel right.
2. I've never been on an island such as this. It's pretty big (about 35 miles x 12 miles), but it's different to think you're surrounded by water.
3. Lots of Rum. The self proclaimed "Rum capital of the world" no less. I suppose somebody has to make the claim. Why not a random island in the caribbean?
4. Gas is sold per liter (roughly $.70 per right now).
5. I really like speaking Spanish. This trip is a good teaser for Costa Rica next year.