Thursday, May 18, 2006

Puerto Rico-Day Three-the rainforest

















Today's headliner was our El Yunque tour, a plunge into the only tropical rainforest in the US foresty system. 28,000 acres of protected land. The rainforest, on the east side of the island, receives over 200 inches of rain a year, compared to the arid west that receives about 30 inches. The west part of the island "looks like Texas" according to our tour guide.

We hiked through dense jungle and eased our way into the 65 degree pools at the base of a waterfall. Cold at first but very refreshing in the long run.

Later we took a sit on Luquillo Beach near the forest. Clean, white-washed sand and pristine waters. AND, $1.50 Medallos and $4 Pina Coladas. The boisterous ones in the class had plenty of both. I saved my intake till this evening. Though I'm tiring of Medallo Light (after two rounds). The group concensus is that its flavor resembles a six-point Coors. I might venture to other alcoholic waters on my next go round. Perhaps tomorrow will tell. Oh, and I'm working on my tan. Can't you tell.

A chap came by playing the guitar on the beach. Through a translated conversation I gleaned that he is Hector and from Casablanca. He's played the guitar for 30 years. And he's short.

The group is experiencing the classic, cellular break down. Susie and Sally always hang out. Betty and George are fast friends too, but don't necessarily like Susie. Etc. Etc. I think you know the trend. But it's not bad. I'm trying to avoid a label and put some time in here and there with various social prides. So far so good. 12 more days to go...

Did the first of my interviews tonight for my story about Raggaeton music in Puerto Rico. Got to chat with some locals. Good times. It's fun talking to locals, and writing the story gives me reason to talk it up. Look forward to visiting the Discoteca on Saturday for some more interviews and what not. Wish me luck.

"Dame mas Gasolina!"

No comments: