Friday, September 01, 2006

Adoption


This week I answered the call of the International Student Office at OU. I filled out the paperwork, pretending to be my dad (they don't give this privilege to students), and adopted two international students.

I adopted (or rather my dad adopted) Jose', an engineering student from Peru. I hope we can hang out, talk futbol and practice our respective secondary tongues. Should be good.

I also adopted Mo, a Chinese international business student. Her field of interest is the U.K. I figured I know a guy who could give her some authentic Brit flair. Right here in Norman, USA.

Mo came over Friday night to the Stu headquarters for dinner. Sam's sister, Susanna and her husband, Pete, are Stateside right now and came over to sup with us as well. A truly multinational gathering. And we had lasagna. We're so diverse.

But it was a great time. We learned about Chinese culture, chommed prime vittles and, it appears, helped welcome an out-of-towner to Norman in a meaningful way.

Good call on the student adoption bit, Doug. It's looking to be a win-win.

And there are plenty left unadopted even now. Just pretend to be your parents...they'll never know.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

John,
From PERU? I hope you know the Payne's would love to meet Jose! I miss it so much...

We're looking forward to it,
Kelly