Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Colorado pics


Rolling up Pike's Peak with the band commander, Mr. Bennett in his Corvette. I wasn't really paying attention to what he said at this moment.


From the base of Pike's Peak you drive 19 miles to the summit. The elevation changes from about 6,500 feet to 14,110 at the top. For the runners, you can participate in the annual Pike's Peak Marathon, running UP the entire mountain and back DOWN again. I think that would be painful.




Typically I come back from trips with ZERO pictures of myself. Or at least none on my own camera. So I thought I'd do better and actually come home with some of ME. So far so good. At the top I noticed my resting heart rate was about 74 bpm. 12-14 beats faster than it is in Oklahoma. Sheesh. The bod's not used to the altitude.


Good times with snowballs on top of P.P. Kind of odd throwing around frozen water in June.


The narcissistic Aron Ralston shot. Now I just need a prosthetic arm and to climb all of Colorado's 14'ers alone — in the winter.


You can also ride the train to the top. Pretty cool if it weren't 30 bucks. I'll just ride in Corvettes thank you.


Some of the bandees enjoying dinner in Manitou Springs, a quaint town at the base of Pike's Peak. From left: Bryant, Gayle, Joe, Elisa, Jamie, Mr. Bennett (he gets a title cause he's the commander, and he's old) and Josh.


Sunset over the frontline of the Rockies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, I really like the pic where your nariz is pink ;)

keely said...

You've been more places in the past 6 months than I've been in my entire existence.

Anonymous said...

i spent a few weeks in manitou springs a few years ago. i met two girls who did the pikes peak marathon in old-school tevas. everyone else pulled their toenails off with their shoes at the end of the long descent, but not these girls. genius... -katherine edwards