Sunday, June 25, 2006

Maritime Bliss



Saturday we got the real deal. Rolling out to Buena Vista, Colo., we rafted about 15 miles on the Arkansas River, navigating Class III+ rapids (though the river is really low right now — about 1,200 cfm, our guide said).

I've never been rafting before, but three paddle strokes into the journey and I knew it would be a great time. Before launch, my boat's guide, Avery, a student at CSU, asked us who wanted to sit in the front. "We need some strong rowers in the front," she said. "And you'll also get really wet."

Me and Sgt. Pritchett volunteered for the front spots right away. Why not get the full experience of the river? Avery's premonition of getting wet proved very true. The 45-degree water poured over the bow QUITE often soaking me and Pritchett from the get-go.

We stopped for lunch about halfway through the trip, enjoying tasty sandwiches, chips and cookies. Before eating, the guides let us jump off a 30-foot rocky outcropping into the FRIGID river water. The jump was the easy part. The water temps the difficulty. From the 85+ degree air temperatures I vaulted off the top into the sub-50s flux.

I'm not sure what erratic beats my heart took when the temperature variation set in, but after surfacing, breathing became nearly impossible. Breaths came in short, uncontrollable gasps. Motor skills diminished, limb control slowed and debilitation mounted. I was shocked how spent I felt after swimming back the 20 endless feet to shore, battling the current and my own body.

"Hey Stuart, I missed your picture. You jumped too soon," said Jamie, a sax player who took pictures of everyone as they jumped. "You wanna do it again?" she asked casually.

"Sure," I said slowly, still panting lighty from the ordeal.

Thankfully the second time wasn't as bad, my body having forgiven me for the disturbing previous jump and becoming slightly more acclimated to the arctic waters.

Other excitements of the day included big horn sheep sightings, my guide twice falling out of the boat (if the guides fall out during a tour, they have to buy a 12-pack for the rest of the rafting staff to enjoy) and a person in my raft being ejected in some rapids (she hit some rocks but is ok).

It's been a long time since venturing to Buena Vista. I've forgotten how stunning the surrounding Collegiate Peaks are — 13 peaks over 13,800 feet and eight over 14,000.

Pictures can't pay them justice...you have to go.


Another rafting shot. I highly recommend the rafting experience. I didn't hear the forward paddle command given by our guide which is why everyone else is paddling in this picture and I'm just riding easy.


Mt. Princeton near Buena Vista, Colo. Evevation: 14,197 feet.




An old bus belonging to the rafting company that guided us. The Collegiate Peaks are in the distance.




Colorado Springs sunset.