Monday, June 19, 2006

Colorado -- take one

NOTICE

Due to crappy dial-up internet connections, the posting of photos will temporarily be interrupted. Please check back soon for further photo documentation of the Colorado experiences. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

JDS

I rolled up to Colorado Springs ("The Springs" to the locals) on Saturday, launching my two weeks of army annual training. The drive was uneventful apart from alluring signs in west Kansas promising "the plains' largest barn," and the "six-legged steer." Oh yeah the "world's largest prairie dog" was especially enticing as well.

So far it's looking to be a pretty bodacious two weeks. Sunday we had the day off and a number of us drove up nearby Pike's Peak for some scenic stimuli. And there was plenty to go around.

I rode with Mr. Bennett, the band commander. He drives an '03, 50th anniversary edition 'Vette. It's alright. It's got a glass top that we removed for the drive up to the mountain's 14,000+ elevation. A good idea, but unfortunately we forgot the sunscreen. I now have a moderately burned forehead.

I watched the temperature gauge drop as we ascended. From 91 degrees at the bottom to 48 degrees on top. With a wind chill. A wonderful and refreshing experience to be uncomfortably cold in the northern hemisphere in the month of June. Can't exactly get that feeling in Okiehoma.

At the top we threw some snowballs. I accidentally landed one through the sunroof of a fellow bandsman's Lincoln. I was aiming for the windshield. An innocent gesture. It splatted on the backseat leather. Whups.

It's interesting how much geography has a bearing on my emotional state. In many ways I feel more content in a location like this. I'm overly thankful for the life of blessings I have (and don't deserve) in Oklahoma. But there's something unshakable about this Centennial State that is especially meaningful to me.

Maybe it's just the six-point beer...

All in all a delightful trip thus far. It's good furthering relationships with my fellow bandees as well. There are some new people in the group and it's been enjoyable getting to know them more.

It's early to bed tonight. We have 6 a.m. PT formation in the morning. Pshaw. What is this, the army?

No comments: