Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Family History Revisited



Today began the fulfillment of a trip long in the making — 17 years, to be exact. My parents and I arrived in Fryeburg, Maine this evening, our former town of residence, and a place we've not seen since 1989 — the year we moved back to Oklahoma.

In the '80s, my fam lived in Maine for about 3 years, calling Fryeburg (and its one stop light) home. Since '89, none of us has been back to visit. It's good to be back here after so long, though I was merely a young lad of five years when we left Maine.

I'm wracking my memory trying to remember things here. Unfortunately, I don't recall a great deal. But I do know that everything seems much smaller now than it did in 1989. Interesting how that works.

We'll be here through next Wednesday, and so far the trip's off to a poignant, enjoying and sentimental start. Primarily I'm excited that it's 68 degrees and raining right now. That alone is reason to celebrate.

Here are some shots from Wednesday.


Mama and Papa Stu, celebrating entrance into The Pine Tree State.


My uncle Reuben's farmhouse in Fryeburg where we're staying. It's over 200 years old and sits on 10 acres. Very quiet and contenting.


Here she is, the old Stuart family home. Lots of memories here. The people we sold it to still live here and they've done some nice improvements to it over the years. Looks pretty good. We're going to try go over and talk with the owners sometime during the trip for some reminiscing.


Not a sign you'll see in Oklahoma.


Driving on I-93 in New Hampshire toward Fryeburg. We flew to Manchester, NH, rented a car and rolled 2.5 hrs up to Fryeburg.


The cast before takeoff at Will Rogers. Unfortunately, the whole fam couldn't make it for the trip. Some day we'll all make it up here together.


Vibrant Maine foliage. Green is the dominant color up here. On ground level, it's pretty much the only thing you see.

Trees...bushes...shrubs...ferns...trees...bushes...shrubs...ferns...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mom's a moose crossing